Monday, July 2, 2012

Lo's Pantry

Let's paint a little picture.

Single. Thirty-one. No kids.  One inside dog, one outside cat. 
Homeowner with a kitchen always in a contant state of remodel
owner of two refrigerators
girl with penchant for a variety of colorful ceramics and a a stauch disinterest in washing the dishes
Shiftworker. 
Fillipino, part Irish, my family just likes to eat...

I've never taken a cooking class, and I don't have to make meal plans on a weekly basis, but I take a certain pride in being able to find my way around the kitchen without fear or reservation
{don't trust a woman who can't find her way around the kitchen, it's just not right}
  Mama made sure her girls could at least throw together a few meals on their own.
We learned by watching while she cooked, just like my mom learned from her mother.

my mom is a phenomenal cook
end of story.

my kitchen & my pantry: a functional mess
I tried to pretty it up, but there's just no point
this is a lived in house and a lived in kitchen
in my kitchen, we do messy, we do spills, we roll with the punches
but out of the disorder, we make good meals
this is how we do:


{list maker makin' lists, scratchy chicken doodles}


a typical grocery list:
milk
almond milk
mushrooms (x2...I love mushrooms!)
sliced almonds
tomatos
protien powder
soda (of some diet variety)
iced tea
cranberries (dried)
berries (whatever is in season an not $$$)
gatorade
chicken breast
cabbage (my new favorite go to side dish these days)
lemons
limes
agave
frozen blueberries (for vegan chia seed muffins)
string chese
cliff bars (meal in a purse)
dark chocolate
noodles
lettuce
white vinegar
onions
juice
shrimp


 in bulk & {in mason jars}
orzo pasta
pinto beans
oatbran
quinoa
chia seeds

elsewhere in the kitchen;
white rice
brown rice
whole wheat rigatoni
polenta
onions
On the left: the inside fridge, what you'll find:
Feta Cheese,
Salsa
Chicken Broth
GreenYogurt
coconut milk
Eggs
laughing cow cheese wedges
Tejava tea
Diet Arizona Green Tea
Milk
spinach (the Costco bag, it's HUGE!)
Applesauce (for baking)
On the right: the garage fridge, what you'll find:
Blue Moon, Raspberry (my newest love in life)
gatorade
bottled water
various mixers
in the cabinets:
agave
honey
coconut oil
almond butter
seasame seed oil
hot sauce
a variety of teas
spices
vinegar (white, red, balsamic, apple cider)
almonds
walnuts
sun dried tomatoes
peperocinis
flour (wheat, enriched, pastry)
sugar
cocoa powder
various baking supplies
bread crumbs
graham crackers
toasted coconut marshmallows
J-E-L-L-O
Nori wrappers
wild rice in bulk
Kraft Mac & Cheese
canned: black beans, corn, pinto beans, soup, peaches

in the garage and always in bulk from Costco:
garbanzo beans
kidney beans
diced tomatos
tomato sauce
albacore tuna
bottled water

Not quite a hoarder, but there's at least a couple of days worth of food available in and about my house. 
I'm not usually too far from being able to cook up a quick pasta or something simple and homecooked. 
Just do like my Mama said: find good ingredients, make them available, and put them together. 

You just can't go wrong.

~ Lo


No comments:

Post a Comment